No one forgets the tragic loss of any celebrity, more so, if it is related to drug or alcohol abuse. A lot of celebrities have died in the last decade but many deaths can be connected to drug or alcohol abuse. Who can forget the unfortunate circumstances under which the noticeable performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker in the movie “The Dark Knight” was awarded the Oscar? Well, as unfortunate as it may seem, there are rampant drug addicts among celebrities.
Let’s have a look at some of the famous celebrities that have died due to drug/alcohol abuse
- Heath Ledger: Primarily the victim of overdosing on a cocktail of medications like oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam and alprazolam, Heath Ledger was a beloved character that was a shining example of method acting. His noticeable work in various films like the dark might brought about a whole new dimension in how villains are portrayed in the films. His loss was tragic as well as shocking for the entire film fraternity, and led to a lot of actors publicly denouncing the use of drugs.
- Whitney Houston: Complications from the use of cocaine, as well as alcohol and a mixture of Benadryl and Xanax were to be the primary cause of death for Whitney Houston. However, the loss for the music industry was something that cannot be fathomed even today. The husky voice went on to sing a lot of songs, and people would pour their hearts out to the songs that would go on to create records that were unparalleled in the music industry. Dying at such a young age, this has again shone a light on the other the nature of drug use.
- Prince: Originally named Prince Rogers Nelson, Prince was an icon in the pop culture. His songs have revolutionized the entire industry, and all of his concerts were sold out even before the ticket counter remained open for 10 minutes. However, the singer and songwriter was the accident victim of fentanyl overdose, and hence had to leave us at the tender age of 57.
- Amy Winehouse: Popular as a wonderful songwriter, this English single was the victim of alcohol poisoning. Even when she was advised to get rid of alcohol from her entourage, she went on record to say that without alcohol, she was nothing. She succumbed at the tender age of 27.
- Kurt Cobain: A grunge pop icon in the nineties, Kurt Cobain is noticeably a popular figure even today. However, although it has been noted that he died due to a gunshot wound to the head, there was a decent amount of heroin and diazepam found in his bloodstream. The suicide went on to make headlines across the world, and at the age of 27, this musical genius left us.
- George Best: A dashing footballer, George Best epitomized what modern English football was. However, he was also a rampant alcohol abuser, which ultimately led to his demise at the age of 59.